- High Valley Vineyards- 13151 Highway 20,
Clearlake Oaks, CA 95423,
Right along Highway 20 in the lake side town of Clear Lake Oaks is the smart, attractive tasting room of High Valley Vineyard. They source grapes from the High Valley Vineyard at the base of the ancient Round Mountain Volcano. This is some of the most rugged terrain in the valley with giant lava outcrops that are miles in length. High Valley differs from the rest of Lake County and most of California, because its situated east/west instead of north/south like most valleys. This geological anomaly means that High Valley is able to pull in cool air from nearby Clear Lake allowing for a wide range of grapes to be grown. The attractive, shingled sided building has a wrap around veranda and was completed in summer of 2008. The inviting interior has wood beamed ceilings, stained concrete floors, and a half circle copper topped tasting bar. The winery produces Cabernet Sauvignon, Fume Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc, plus smaller quantities of Barbera, Merlot, and Petite Sirah. There is a small picnic space in the back.
- Langtry Estate & Vineyards - 21000 Butts Canyon Rd.,
Middletown, CA 95461,
Northern California's picturesque Lake County wine region is located about 8 miles from Crazy Creek Air Adventures, and just 90 miles north of San Francisco. The region, which is focused around Clear Lake, the largest natural freshwater lake in California, offers winery tourism, outdoor recreation, and spectacular scenery. Although traditionally recognized for producing Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County wine producers are also crafting distinguished Petite Sirahs, Cabernets, Zinfandels and Chardonnays.
Note: The Guenoc Winery is now the Langtry Estate & Vineyards.
Ployez Winery - 11171 Highway 29,
Lower Lake, CA 95457,
Located just 10 miles north of Crazy Creek Air Adventures. Established in 1997, this new winery is owned by Gerald and Shirley Ployez, who purchased the old Stuermer Winery in Lower Lake. Since then, wine lovers everywhere are celebrating Lake County's first sparkling wine. Sparkling wine is a welcome addition to the county's wine offerings, but it won't stop there. The Ployez' produce other varietal wines, including Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, and Gamay Beaujolais, another new Lake County varietal.
- Shannon Ridge Winery - 12599 East Highway 20, Clearlake Oaks, CA 95423, 707.998.9656
In 2006, Shannon Ridge Winery was named one of the "hottest wine brands" by Wine Business Monthly. The winery is family owned and operated, with a commitment to sustainable farming practices, strong values, memorable experiences, and outstanding wines. In 2006, Shannon Ridge Winery was named one of the "hottest wine brands" by Wine Business Monthly. The winery is family owned and operated, with a commitment to sustainable farming practices, strong values, memorable experiences, and outstanding wines.
- Steele Wines - 4350 Thomas Drive,
Kelseyville, CA 95451,
From viewing the actual number of wines we bottle, you might think that we are a large winery. However, this is not the case, as we specialize in many wines where the final bottling is less than 1,000 cases. This reflects my never ending fascination with many different varietals and vineyard locations. This approach allows us to maintain the practice of true craftsmanship in the production of our small lot bottlings.
- Vigilance Winery & Vineyards - 13888 Point Lakeview Rd.,
Lower Lake, CA 95457,
Located in Lake County, California, known for the cleanest air quality in the United States you will find Vigilance Vineyards & Winery set amongst the historic Anderson Marsh sanctuary where preservation of the land and wildlife are equally matched to the beliefs of Clay & Margarita Shannon, owners of this breathtaking slice of heaven. Inspiration came from the tranquil attributes of this exceptional property. It was the pivotal point of realization for the wine label "Vigilance". Generated from their art of farming using sustainable practices and their spirit of being careful to preserve land for future generations the blend became a truly harmonious expression of the earth and the Shannon's commitment to it. Enjoy!
- Wildhurst Vineyards - 3855 Main Street,
Kelseyville, CA 95451,
Hurst is a Gaelic word meaning "wooded hillside" and "wild hurst" is the perfect description for the verdant slopes of Mt. Konocti overlooking the Holdenried ranch. Wildhurst's home vineyard lies at the foot of the dormant volcano's western exposure, and from the home vineyard the view is spectacular, rugged and beautiful. The name 'Wildhurst' evokes the spreading California native oaks that dot the vineyard acreage, and the zest for nature and simple living that characterize the lovely rural area of Lake County. In this spirit, Wildhurst makes direct, hand-crafted wines from a wine maker's passion and a farmer's love of his land.
- California Winery Advisor - Lake County, with its lovely rolling hills, forested mountains and dramatic Clear Lake, now has over 25 wineries open to the public. The CWA website list many more wineries in Lake County and other areas.
Wine makers have discovered the bounty of Lake County's agriculturally rich valley, which surrounds ancient Clear Lake and the rocky red volcanic soil around Mt. Konocti. These soils, in conjunction with warm days and cool evenings have created an ideal environment for quality grape production.
Hot Springs, Historic Ranch Trips, Casinos
- Harbin Hot Springs - One of the oldest and most beautiful hot springs in California, Harbin Hot Springs is now operated as a non-profit retreat and workshop center. We are located north of San Francisco, above the Napa Valley wine region. Guests travel here from around the world to soak in the natural spring pools, receive massages or our famous Watsu®, sun on the clothing-optional decks, practice yoga, attend workshops, hike the hills, or to simply relax in the embrace of nature.
- Eleven Roses Ranch - 707-998-4471 - Some might say it's what dreams are made of…to ride in a carriage built for two on your wedding day. That's exactly what Anne Garner was able to do with a carriage owned by her grandfather. He called it his "Court'in Buggy" and Anne decided that if it had worked for Grand-Dad, then other's might like it too! That was the beginning of Eleven Roses Ranch and Mule Company. If you are not needing a carriage for your wedding, you might like the Historic Ranch Day trip. This unique adventure transports you back in time and gives you unforgettable experience in some of the most beautiful country in Northern California.
- TwinPine.com - Twin Pine Casino & Hotel - Hwy 29, Middletown, CA (approx. 4 miles from Crazy Creek Air Adventures). Twin Pine Casino & Hotel, located in Middletown, is conveniently situated at the northern gateway to the world-famous Napa Valley. The new state-of-the-art facility with its unique and delightful turn-of-the-century winery theme, is one of California's newest casino’s with over 92,000 square feet of guest space, and is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Balloon Rides - Napa & Sonoma Valley
If you like to get up REAL early there are several Napa & Sonoma Valley Balloon ride companies that provides rides in our area. Balloon ride groups meet about thirty minutes before sunrise, therefore, times do vary throughout the year, ranging from 5:30 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. The Napa and Sonoma valley areas have fog on many of the summer mornings (it makes the grapes grow well), so the balloon ride companies come north to Lake County, past Crazy Creek Air Adventures so they can fly in our clear morning skies.
As the balloon photos below show, many of them fly in and around the Crazy Creek Air Adventure gliderport and land right on the airport property.
Not into getting up that early? Come for a glider ride. We fly all day long, so you can pick the time that you want to fly. Sleep late, and then come over for a beautiful scenic glider ride (see our rides page). Take a look at our photo gallery and you can see the terrific views that you will experience.
www.calistogaballoons.com - Calistoga offers unique views of Mt. St. Helena, the Old Faithful Geyser and the Palisade Cliffs, as well as a superior flight experience due to Calistoga's ideal air conditions year round. Although there are many balloon companies in the Napa Valley, Calistoga Balloons is the only one to fly from Calistoga, making their flights completely unique and exquisite.
www.bonaventuraballoons.com - Bonaventura provides ballooning excursions par excellence over the most scenic Upper Valley. We limit reservations to allow personalized attention, a single magnificent flight per morning with each balloon, and quality instead of volume. Most excursions last 3-4 hours, including preflight and post-flight activities.
www.balloonsabovethevalley.com - Napa hot air balloon rides may well be the highlight of your next trip to Napa Valley. Balloons Above the Valley offers state-of-the-art hot air ballooning equipment along with their experienced balloon pilots and crew. Hot Air Balloons in Napa Valley float almost silently above the trees, hillsides, fields, and vineyards.
www.balloonrides.com - Let your spirit soar on this one-of-a-kind wine country tour that you’ll never forget. With our experienced, friendly pilots, you’ll float above the vineyards, exploring the majestic Napa Valley with an incredible birds’ eye view. Bring your camera and your spirit of discovery…we’ll take care of the rest.
During the summer mornings, Balloons can be seen landing at a the Crazy Creek Air Adventures Gliderport.
Crazy Creek Modelers
www.crazycreekmodelers.org are a group of seasoned RC pilots that meet at the Crazy Creek airfield every Tuesday and Saturday morning at 8 AM. They fly all sizes of RC planes, and welcome any new comers who wish to fly their aircraft with them. Come on out, it is fun just to watch them fly. Come out and watch the models, then take a ride in a glider!
Lake County Milers
www.lakecountymilers.com -- Founded in 2003, the Lake County Milers is a 501(c)(3) non-profit running club serving Lake County, California. The Milers are dedicated to promoting physical fitness through running and walking in a supportive and fun atmosphere. Visit their website for a list of upcoming events.
Currently centered in southern/central Lake County, the Milers offer various walking and jogging groups through the week. Small groups often train for specific racing events held in Lake and neighboring counties.
For an annual membership fee ($15 family or $10 individual) you can become part of the friendliest health-conscious group around! Do you need motivation? Try having 15 buddies waiting for you to show up for a walk or a run. It works -- just ask a Miler!
Whether you are a beginner or a long-time runner/walker, the Lake County Milers have something to offer everyone.
Local Town Websites - Check the listings for local attractions
- LakeCounty.com - Located in beautiful Northern California just two hours by car from the San Francisco Bay Area, the Sacramento Valley, or the Pacific Coast, Lake County is the perfect destination for a fun family vacation or a romantic weekend getaway. Dotted with vineyards and wineries, orchards and farm stands, and charming small towns, Lake County is home to Clear Lake, California’s largest natural freshwater lake, known as "The Bass Capital of the West," and Mt. Konocti, which towers over Clear Lake.
- NapaValley.com - Napa Valley is one of the premier travel destinations in the world. Breathtaking views abound at every turn – mustard in the late winter, picturesque rolling hills planted with vineyards year-round and wineries of every stature dot the landscape. Whether you are wine tasting, dining at renowned restaurants like the French Laundry, pampering yourself with a mud bath in Calistoga, or just enjoying your stay at quaint bed & breakfasts, hotels or resorts ... Napa Valley is your spot of heaven on earth.